Usually I try to come up with 10 highlights for a con but sadly I was just shy of that goal. I cheated to make 10 this time. If I were a gamer than I think there would be too many to choose from! PAX is more for the gamer than the pop culture geek but a pop culture geek can still have fun. Check out my list below!
- Volunteering with Take This was the only reason I got to go PAX. Take This is a nonprofit organization who educates and advocates to change the stigma of mental health in the gaming community and work environment. I appreciate PAX for teaming up with this great organization who sponsors the AFK room. A quiet and safe place for con goers to regroup if they get over stimulated by the con floor or just need a quiet space for their mental health needs. I loved hearing stories form people who have benefited from this room. Take This is so amazing, and so dedicated to its mission for mental health, that if a developed was alone at their booth a Take This volunteer watched the booth so that person could go eat or take a break.
- The Magic the Gathering activities at the Paramount Theater. Can I saw OMG! And thanks to my friend who dragged me there! This was the biggest highlight of PAX West for me. The street by the Paramount theater was converted into a bazaar with bright colored tents housing a variety of shops and activities. These activities included watching glass makers display their craft, henna painting for free, and food trucks. Just to name a few. This area was also open to the public, you didn’t need a pass to participate. Once you stepped into the theater you further stepped into a fantasy world. The entire theater was decorated to make you feel like you were in another world. Having been in this theater they must have spent days or have many staff to accomplish the metamorphosis. If I get to PAX 2017 I will be looking for Magic the Gatherings area again to see what they do!
- All the amazing statues that come out every year to PAX. This is always a highlight to me. If you count all the statues individually I can hit my 10 highlights. But my favorite was the Weta Booth’s Orc! The details were amazing! My picture came out very blurry but it adds to the running for my life feel I was going for!
- Thank you PAX for having gender neutral bathrooms!
- Exploding Kittens had buttons! I love Exploding Kittens! Some one was walking around with a giant card. I wish I got a picture of them.
- Getting to drive a Mario Cart. Or is it Luigi cart in this instance? **scratches head** (This was not part of PAX but with one of the cosplayers). Sadly my phone decided to be mean and didn’t fully record the great interview I got with the maker and his friend. Thank you for being so amazing and fun! As a side note this cart even had a phone charger incorporated into it!
- I got to hug a T-Rex! I love those costuems soooooo much!
- PAX West 2016 Lego USS Missouri Battleship by Brickmania. This thing was so large that a photo didn’t do it justice so here is a video for you to see it all.
- The Ad Councils Love has no labels booth for this great gif. I watched people all day make their own gifs while I volunteered across the room before I got to make my own!!! FYI I am trying to eat the ghost like Pac Man, though I should have probably used the cherry for that idea. I even made one of the volunteers laugh with it. Didn’t intend to but I will go with it!
- To spin off of this gem above, I have loved the Bioware booth each year where you can get a picture. Sadly, they did not have this feature this year. Bioware, please do this again! You were my favorite for the past two years because of your photo booth! PLEASE PLEASE WITH A CHERRY ON TOP!!! So here are the products of previous PAX! See why this needs to come back! EPIC, right?!
Check out my official review of PAX for Cosplayers Among Us Magazine! And all these fun pictures!